All About my Summer Internship in Chicago (Part II)

So, where were we? It’s the start of summer 2021, just a few days prior to the start of my internship at the patent law firm in Chicago (read more about how I ended up here). My internship was to start in the first week of June, right after Memorial Day. On that Monday, I moved myself into the Airbnb, located on a quiet side street in the neighborhood Old Town. I made the (uncommon) decision to bring my car to the city, although, to my surprise, I could get just about anywhere (restaurants, work, grocery stores) in under a 15-minute walk or a short commute on the “L” (Chicago’s public train line). In fact, throughout the summer, the only time I used it was to travel home a couple weekends. 


Our Airbnb was a flat in a 3-story building, and we instantly became acquaintances with the young family who lived downstairs. They were never short on providing recommendations for unique activities in the city or aiding me and my roommate when we couldn’t get our door unlocked. 


The interns got together one weekend for a barbecue and swimming!


I had about a 30-minute commute to and from work (10-minute walk to the train, 10-minute train ride, and 10-minute walk to the office), which was very doable every day. My roommate and I went to and from the office every day together, too, which was great to know I had a buddy (although I never felt unsafe!). We worked from about 7:30-4:30, and every day the seven interns took our hour-long lunch break together outside or at the Willis Tower and became good friends.


With regards to the internship (I know, finally!), it was a fantastic experience. It affirmed all my thoughts I had prior to the summer about patent law. I had the opportunity to draft a patent application for a client as well as complete several office action responses. From the small portion of what I experienced in patent prosecution, I understood the career to be one that may at times be daunting, but also one that is rewarding. It’s a unique opportunity to be able to translate an inventor’s idea into a patent application and secure their intellectual property. A career in patent law is also a great opportunity to continue to learn about up-and-coming technology from a variety of clients. 


Throughout the summer, I experienced Chicago in a way I never had when I visited in years past. I grew closer with the other six interns at the firm as we celebrated each other’s birthdays, went to the beach, went bowling, and attended sporting events together outside of work. I had so many activities at my fingertips in the city – from my apartment I could walk to the Lincoln Park Farmer’s Market, Zoo, and Conservatory. I also visited the Chicago History Museum, Art Institute to see the Obama Portraits, and the Old Town Art Festival. I tried new restaurants, including Café-Ba-Ba-Reeba (which took me back to my days studying abroad in Spain) and Jeni’s ice cream (arguably the best ice cream in the city!). I even tried out yoga classes at a couple of studios walking distance from my apartment! Overall, not only did I have a great internship experience, I also had a great summer spent in Chicago, and I am looking forward to pursuing a career in patent law. If you're interested in learning more about my internship or summer, contact us below!


Emily Hamman, BME Dec. '21
WE Link Leadership Team

Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep
Email: welink@purdue.edu


Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering