A Graduate Looks Back


I finally got to walk under the bell tower!

Four years ago, I made the decision to go to Purdue for college. I had only been there once, and while I really liked the campus during my one visit, I was really nervous and anxious about going to Purdue. The campus was big (my mom and I got super lost on our first visit there), the weather was going to be way different from my normal sunny hometown of Los Gatos, California, and I would be far away from home and knowing basically no one. But yet I was still excited, I was going to one of the top engineering schools after all and it was a new adventure. 
After the first couple of weeks of school, I knew that I 100% made the right decision to go to a Purdue. My roommate was one of my best friends and I was becoming good friends with several other girls on my floor, I was rushing a sorority, my classes seemed cool for the most part, and the campus was now familiar to me. That decision was reinforced hundreds of times throughout my four years at Purdue. Throughout my time at Purdue, I made amazing, lifelong friends, was a member of Phi Sigma Rho (the social engineering sorority) and was involved Women in Engineering, majored in something that I am passionate about, got to study abroad twice, and just had an overall good time.    
 Of course, that doesn't mean that there weren't bad times; engineering is a tough major and will test you. I am so lucky though to have had the support of my friends and sorority, classmates, professors and anyone else who impacted me along the way to encourage me and inspire me to do my best. Even though Purdue has so many wonderful and awesome attributes and academics about it, it truly is the community and people who really define Purdue. Joining the Purdue community means that you are gaining an incredible support group and family. Everyone says this, but it is completely true: it really is the people that make Purdue so special. Purdue carries a good reputation, and while a part of that is definitely due to the excellent academics, I think that a part of it is also because the people at Purdue are just as excellent too. Truthfully, I was little sad to leave Purdue because I knew that I was leaving a community who had welcomed me with open arms and provided me with so many amazing memories and lifelong friendships. I know that I will always be a member of the Boilermaker family and that Purdue will always be a home for me. 

So, as a new alumna of Purdue, I can confidently tell you that you are making a great investment in your future and are going to have the time of your life by going to Purdue. I know I sure did.  

Boiler Up! 

-Ashely Devore, Purdue Environmental and Ecological Engineering '17
Former WE Link Leadership Team Member

Stay Connected with Purdue Women in Engineering!
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Twitter: @purduewiep
Instagram: @purduewiep
Email: purdue.welink@gmail.com
Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com
Website: purdue.edu/wiep


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering