PROFESSORS OF PURDUE: Brie Lawson

Graduate Teaching Assistant and Biomechanics research phD candidate at Purdue University


Passions:

    Gabe_Brie_1.jpg
  • Loving and having a relationship with the Lord and sharing Christ’s love with others
  • Been riding horses since she was eight and has a close bond with her current horse 
     
     “I gave my life to the Lord when I was young. Knowing Him and experiencing His unconditional love has caused me to love other people, and that’s such a sweet aspect of my work here as a TA.”
     
  • "I’ve always loved horses, but my parents told me I couldn’t have a horse until I graduated college. When I was eight, and I still hadn’t outgrown the “I love horses” stage, my parents let me take riding lessons. Six years later, God changed their hearts and they decided to buy me my own horse. It has been one of the greatest blessings in my life. I’m 24 years old, and I still haven’t outgrown the “I love horses” phase. " 
  • "Being at the barn is my escape. Just being with horses with no textbooks, no numbers. And the partnership my horse and I have is really cool. It’s like we can read each other’s mind.”

Advice to Female Engineers:

  • Not everyone in the workplace will be supportive of female engineers. Do not let them get to you. Those people just need to get with the times.
  • It is possible to have a balance between having a career and having a family
  • Wear closed-toed shoes - as engineers we are commonly around shops and construction sites. Safety is more important than fashion!

On What Inspired Her:

  • Has always enjoyed problem solving and inventing and wanted to be an inventor as a child.
  • Used problem solving skills in the barn
    • “You can fix a lot of things with baling twine and duct tape.”

Favorite Aspect of Her Job:

  • Being a TA is the highlight of her year.
  • Her goal is to not let students fall through the cracks.
  • Believes that there are easy ways to break down hard topics.

Favorite Memory Involving Engineering:

  • Through her Easter Seals internship experience, she met a child who was in a wheelchair and was getting a walker that he could walk with.
  • Saw this child a year later after he had a major surgery, and he was walking freely and running down the hallway.
  • Wants to help kids like these

    Look out for more Professors of Purdue features to come every Wednesday!

    - Compiled by Women in Engineering Recruitment Project Committee Members
    Annaliza Canda, Bailey McConnell, Cassandra McCormack, Dani Marty, Elizabeth Chattin, Hannah McGinness

    Stay Connected with Purdue WIEP!
    Twitter@PurdueWIEP
    Instagram@PurdueWIEP










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering