The Engineering Disciplines: Why I Chose My Major (Part 2)



Agricultural and Biological Engineering

Written by Madalyn Alm
I have always been fascinated by life and the potential for growth. During high school, I became especially intrigued by the chemical processes that sustain biology. I choose to apply to First Year Engineering instead of the College of Science because I was attracted to the problem-solution orientation of engineering. I had planned on entering Biomedical Engineering when I started at Purdue, but speaking with upperclassmen in different majors helped me realize that Biological Engineering was a better fit for me. Majoring in Biological Engineering allows me to learn the fundamental principles that drive biological processes and gives me the skill set to improve our world through the application of engineering design.
For more information about Purdue’s Agricultural and Biological Engineering program, visit https://engineering.purdue.edu/ABE


Civil Engineering

Written by Joanna McCormack
I knew from the moment I chose to study Engineering that Civil was the way that I wanted to go. Because I have been so sure for this whole first year, I often get asked why I want to go into it. I am most interested in the structural part of designing roads, highways, expressways, etc. When the Civil school came into our Engineering 131 class, they did a great job explaining what Civil entailed. Within Civil there are different focuses, such as transportation, structural, geotechnical, environmental, architectural, and more. When they explained more about it, I knew that either transportation of structural was the way I wanted to go. It really helps to know what you like and then find Purdue’s focuses in that area. It seems that whichever way you choose to go, you will find great opportunities, professors, and classes. For more information about Purdue’s Civil Engineering School, visit the Lyles School of Engineering page:


Materials Engineering

Written by Bailey McConnell
Materials Engineering at Purdue is a great fit for me because it is a very hands-on major. There are three lab classes and a year long senior design project. Lecture classes correspond to when you are taking the lab class, so you are learning the material from both a textbook/ theory perspective and hands on simultaneously. This has helped solidify the principles of MSE and apply the knowledge to industrial applications.  Additionally, I have always asked a lot of questions, two popular ones being “How?” and “Why?” I like knowing the process and ideas behind how a product came to be and why that is the most/ best implemented process. Which was the most desirable property? What sacrifices had to be made? In the future, can we avoid those sacrifices while still maintaining all desired properties and remain in budget? Materials Engineering allows me to continue to ask questions and to then go and find the answers to them.
For more information about Purdue’s Materials Engineering School, visit: https://engineering.purdue.edu/MSE


Electrical Engineering

Written by Ashley Maddock
What excites me about Electrical Engineering are the types of projects and community of people I am exposed to! As an Electrical Engineering student, I can take classes that can give me the skills to allow a person with a Parkinson’s tremor to control a wheelchair, or if I go in a different direction, I can create sensors that will alert the fire department of a wildfire as soon as it starts. These are a few examples of the types of projects I have encountered coming from both Professors and students that I wouldn’t have expected when I first learned about Electrical Engineering. Another feature I really enjoy about Electrical Engineering is the flexibility of my plan of study. It allows me the freedom to explore classes I might be interested in and diverge from classes I didn’t enjoy. While our major allows for a lot of flexibility, it also allows for you to become more focused by offering 8 different concentrations. Choosing a concentration is not required, but I have found it to be beneficial when choosing classes and figuring out what I can do with my Electrical Engineering degree. As for community within ECE, being involved in the women in Electrical and Computer Engineering (WECE) committee has provided me with the sense of community and comradery I was worried I wouldn’t have in such a large department.

Link to Electrical Engineering Home Page: https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECE


Computer Engineering

Initially I wanted to go into Aerospace engineering, but I ended up choosing Computer Engineering because I have always had a love for coding and I have always wanted to learn more about the hardware of computers. In the ECE program you can take a course of study that allows you to study both hardware and software. You’re first year in ECE you get to jump right in to learning about circuitry and advanced programming. In addition, a degree in Computer engineering allows you to go into many different fields, so there’s a lot more options for co-ops and jobs after graduation. Although the ECE program is an intense plan of study, it’s worth it if you have a passion for computers, coding, and robotics.

-WE Link Recruitment Project Committee: Blog

Stay Connected with WIEP!
Instagram: @purduewiep
Twitter: @purduewiep
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering