STUDENT SPOTLIGHT: Megan Hetisimer, Mechanical Engineering 2018

Student Spotlight: Megan Hetisimer

Major: Mechanical Engineering
Graduation Date: Fall 2018


What is your favorite part about Engineering?

My favorite part about engineering is being able to take a complex problem and break it up into smaller pieces to solve it. Problem solving is such a powerful skill and will make you valuable in any industry you choose to go into to!

What is your favorite class you have taken and why?

My favorite class I've taken so far is either Thermodynamics or Machine Design. I'm more of a big-picture thinker who needs to visualize what I'm working on and I feel like both of those classes fit my way of learning well. I also really liked learning about the practical applications of what I was doing in the classroom and seeing how I would apply it in industry. I get really excited when I notice how something in the real world illustrates a concept we learned in class!

What is the best thing about Purdue?

I think the community here (especially in Mechanical Engineering) is really special. If I'm stuck on a homework problem or need a study buddy, I can head to the ME building and find people I know working on the same thing no matter the time of day. Everyone here is always willing to work together and help each other out. Purdue seems like a huge school but it really doesn't feel that way!

Tell us about a fun memory about your time at Purdue!

I love country music, and I remember that Hunter Hayes came and performed at Purdue during my sophomore year. I had an exam the same night as the concert, so I wore my cowboy boots to the exam and ran to the concert with my backpack afterward. I guess that's more of a half-fun memory, but the concert was great! 

What sorts of things are you involved in on campus?

I've been involved with the Mechanical Engineering Ambassadors, Society of Women Engineers, and Purdue Young Americans for Liberty. I've spent most of my time with the ME Ambassadors where I was on the executive board for 3 semesters, finally serving as President last spring.

What is the best advice you received before coming to Purdue?

I was always told to do more things that scared me and got me out of my comfort zone. Purdue will give you so many opportunities to do just that so take advantage of it! Study abroad, take a leadership position in a club, reach out to a professor, or anything else that might seem intimidating at first. Looking back on my freshman year as someone who is about to graduate, I changed a lot. My experiences at Purdue made me a more confident, outgoing, and well-rounded person. I would encourage anyone coming to college to embrace change and the person you are becoming!

What is something you wish you had known when going through the college search process? 

Understand that there isn't a "perfect" school. I feel like a lot of people get caught up in finding the "right" school that will get them where they want to be in life, but it's really the other way around. Life is what you make of it and the same is true for the college experience! Find a school that you can see yourself spending 4 years at and take every opportunity you can to grow and learn as much as possible!

What is some advice you would give to incoming engineering students at Purdue?

Try to not beat yourself up too much when you fall short of your expectations. Purdue engineering is tough and you probably won't ace all of your classes with minimal effort like you might have done in high school. Work hard, ask for help, and try to keep everything in perspective. A 4.0 GPA isn't everything and you can definitely be a well-rounded successful person without one!

What is a fun fact about yourself?

I studied abroad in China my junior year which was my first time out of the US!

Anything else you want to share with us?

I am going to work for Ford Motor Company full-time after graduation where I'll be working on Super Duty truck powertrains!

Check back every Tuesday for more student spotlights!

- Compiled by Allison Meyer, WE Link LT



Stay Connected With WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering