A Graduate Reflects: Three Tips to Make your College Experience Awesome

When I first came to Purdue four years ago in August 2015, I would have never expected that I would have: joined the WE Link LT my freshman year, joined a sorority (let alone become President), given tours to ME prospective students, worked for an automotive company and met all the amazing people that I did in my four years.   Probably the only thing I expected was that I would get a degree in ME, which turned out to be the most difficult feat of my four years here. But even though it was tough, I loved every second of it and learned so much! Going off the theme for the Women in Engineering Programs 50th anniversary, here is my top three advice on how to make your college experience aWE50me coming off of my Purdue commencement on August 3. 

Enjoy the Moment

Going off of my all-time favorite ME pun (shoutout ME270), always enjoy the moment, because you never know what the future will hold. Some of my fondest memories come from my toughest moments.  It’s easier said then done, but I find that it really pays off in the end. Just do as many things as possible in college, but make sure you enjoy them too! Don't waste your time on doing something that makes you unhappy.

Take Risks 

I think almost every experience that has been the most meaningful to me has come out of me taking a risk. If you had told me four years ago that I would have had two internships and work full time for an automotive company, I would’ve lost my mind (I know next to nothing about cars).  For me, that all started with just talking to someone at a career fair who ended up being in my sorority, I never thought that three jobs would come out of it! I would encourage you to take any opportunity that comes your way in college if it seems right, like going to that callout that seems fun or reaching out for a job opportunity; the world is yours!

Find Your Passion

Throughout my time at Purdue, I have had the pleasure of being involved in a multitude of student organizations and programs.  I found that I really loved encouraging, mentoring, and recruiting women engineers, as well as mechanical engineers. These were topics that I loved talking about and loved working toward a goal. So, I got more involved in these organizations (Phi Sigma Rho, Women in Engineering Program, Purdue Mechanical Engineering Ambassadors) and devoted more time because their purposes were my passions and I met people with similar mindsets that have become my best friends. Having graduated, I am sad to leave these organizations, but like all organizations, there are still many opportunities to be involved as an alumna. I look forward to carrying these passions forward and making an impact on my job and my community. 

As I reflect on my college years, I am overwhelmed with thanks to all of the professors, mentors, friends, classmates, peers, advisors and more that have supported me and encouraged me throughout my four years! The most impactful experience has been on the WE Link leadership team since my freshman year, where I have had the unique opportunity to recruit women in engineering primarily in media like this one, and grow our media outreach as a whole.  Although it’s hard to say goodbye to WE Link, I know that Brittany, Megan, Marisa, Madeleine, JT, Kat and Emily are going to reach new heights in the coming years. No matter what your passion is, do it and be awesome! 

Ever grateful, ever true. Thanks for an amazing four years, Purdue! Can’t wait to enter the workforce as a Mechanical Engineer, soon, and I wish you all the best of luck on your college journey and beyond! Boiler up!! 

- Allison Meyer
Mechanical Engineering 2019
WE Link Leadership Team



Stay Connected to Purdue WIEP!
Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering
Instagram: @purduewiep
Twitter: @purduewiep


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering