LT Experience: An Untraditional Summer Research Internship

Summers are a prime time for many college students to gain work experience, study abroad, or take a few classes. When the pandemic interfered with my plans to study abroad and participate in a Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU), I had to learn how to be productive from home and adapt to whatever obstacles got in my way.

Kat on campus after returning from working at home.

I started looking for REUs to participate in during the fall semester. In the past, Purdue’s Weldon School of Biomedical Engineering hosted guest lecturers weekly to give talks. One speaker’s research topic caught my attention in particular. After attending his talk, I reached out to him about opportunities for the summer. After applying to a few REU programs through University of Pennsylvania that he recommended, I accepted an offer to participate in a 10-week program.


As it became more apparent that I would not be able to travel to University of Pennsylvania for the summer, I became increasingly nervous as to how I would spend my summer. Luckily for me, my program was converted to a 4-week program. I was able to build and maintain equipment at my house that allowed me to collect data as well as attend sessions through the REU program on professional development. 


Although this summer was not ideal, it helped me develop significantly as both a researcher and student. Being at home pushed me to think and problem solve independently instead of immediately asking for help. I also learned to manage my time, as I didn’t have a set schedule, and improved my ability to work with distractions. This summer provided learning experiences that I would otherwise not have had and for that I am so grateful.


- Kat Kerr, BME 2022

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu



Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering