Get to Know Phi Sigma Rho

I joined Phi Sigma Rho in January and can honestly say it was the best decision I made since coming to Purdue. For those who don’t know, Phi Sigma Rho is a social sorority for women in STEM. Our aim is to empower each other as women in STEM while still being able to have a traditional sorority experience.

Me and My Family and my Big-Little Reveal

I decided to go through Spring Continuous Open Bidding (COB) last minute after seeing an Instagram post. However, Phi Rho does do formal recruitment in the fall too! I attended a callout one night to meet the sisters via Zoom and then suddenly I was in interviews talking to members about Phi Rho and seeing if I would be a good fit. I wanted to be 100% sure that this was something I truly wanted to commit to before I accepted a bid. The sisters that I spoke to were understanding of my uncertainty and made sure that I had all of the information and confidence I needed to accept my bid. The moment I knew I wanted to join Phi Rho was during the invitational round, I switched into a breakout room and met MacKenzie, a current sister, and junior in Industrial Engineering. MacKenzie and I sat and talked like we had known each other for years, and it was at this point that I knew Phi Rho was the place for me, I felt like I had found home. After this moment, I kept talking to sisters and my confidence in this being the right choice for me only continued to grow.

My Sisters and I, the night I got my official bid

No surprise, I decided to formally accept the bid the Phi Sigma Rho extended to me at the end of recruitment. From there it has been a flurry of excitement, love, and good times. My pledge class was only 5 people large, so we got really close over our two months of candidacy. The biggest impact Phi Rho has had on me has been giving me some of my best friends. The night I officially accepted my bid I got a DM on Instagram. It was from a sister, one I didn’t remember meeting during recruitment but after a thorough Instagram stalking, I decided she seemed cool. She asked me to coffee and we went to coffee for about 3 hours the first time, 4.5 the second time, and another 4 the third time. Every time we talked it felt like no time had passed even though we would be sitting for hours at a time. This sister is now my big, Jenna, and with her came my amazing family, Betsy, and Katie. My favorite parts of the week are when Jenna shows up randomly at my dorm and does work with me or when we all go to Sonic together and spend hours laughing and scheming on how to get a cow.

Jenna and I at my Activation Picnic

However, I didn’t only join Phi Sigma Rho for the social portion of it, on top of gaining many new friends and sisters, I gained countless study buddies. Because Phi Rho is for women in STEM, there is always someone in the house in your classes or someone that has taken your classes and is willing to help. Once out of school, there is an entire alumna network around the country that is willing to aid and support fellow sisters in job hunting, house hunting, advice, and anything else you need.

Although I have only been a part of Phi Sigma Rho for a short amount of time I know that the next 4 years with my sisters at my side will be amazing.


Jenn Short, ME'24

Recruitment Project Committee


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu



Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering