Why I Chose Purdue

    As the decision deadline approaches for the Class of 2025, I have been reflecting on my senior year of high school when I was trying to decide where I was going to spend the next four years of my life. It is a decision that felt overwhelming and all I wanted was for someone to tell me where to go. Three years later, I want to share my decision process for why I chose Purdue.


    By April of my senior year, I had narrowed it down to two universities, Purdue and another large state school. Both had strong academics and a reputable name, making it hard for me to decide. My mom and I decided to tour both schools in the same weekend to help me make my decision. 

    When I came to Purdue's campus, I loved the campus, academic opportunities such as EPICS and WIEP, the dining halls, the gym, etc., but what stood apart from the other school was how much the students cared about each other. Anyone I talked to was willing to answer my questions genuinely and provide advice based off of their experiences. From the first time talking to students on campus, it was apparent that the environment was extremely collaborative. Any hesitations that I had about going to school seven and a half hours away were gone; I knew that I wanted to be a part of a campus community that was so supportive and welcoming.

    Looking back on the decision process three years later, everything that I felt on that first visit has held true. In my experience, I have felt that everyone on campus - whether that be my friends, peers, teaching assistants, or professors - wants to see me succeed and are willing to help me in any way they can. Purdue has incredible academics and facilities, a beautiful campus, great sports teams, and ample opportunities to get involved through clubs, study abroad, learning communities, etc. But what sold me on accepting my offer was the community at Purdue.

    I remember being frustrated by the decision process as a senior in high school. I wanted someone to tell me what I should do or if I was making the right decision. Now, I am so glad that I chose to come to Purdue. For all the ups and downs, Purdue has provided me the resources I need to succeed and I am so grateful I chose to be a Boilermaker.

If you have questions, comments or want to find more about Purdue WIEP, tag us, leave a comment, or follow us!


Kat Kerr, Biomedical Engineering

WE Link Leadership Team


Stay Connected With Purdue WIEP!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Twitter: @purduewiep 

Instagram: @purduewiep

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu


Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering