Finals Season Self-Care

    Just like that, it’s December! With the end of the semester quickly approaching here at Purdue, we wanted to share some self-care and studying tips we are utilizing while studying for exams. We hope that this advice will make studying for your own finals this semester more manageable and end the year on a high note!

Moving Study Spots Regularly

    When I study for my finals, I am always sure to go to a productive study environment. I like to move every couple of hours while studying to keep my mind fresh and change up the atmosphere. I have found that moving where I study has been beneficial as it allows me to refocus easier. This method may not be for everyone but if you struggle to stay focused in one study spot, allowing yourself to reset and change locations can be extremely helpful to regaining that focus. Some of my favorite places to practice this rotating schedule are starting at my apartment then moving to a coffee shop and then to a building on campus. On this schedule, I find it much easier to take refreshing breaks by walking from location to location. I also use the time in my study breaks to walk back to my apartment for lunch or get coffee from a local coffee shop. – Lily


Physical Activity

    It’s easy to get sucked into studying for hours at a time, where you lose track of how long you have been sitting in front of your computer. To combat this, I love to integrate some type of physical activity into every day I know is going to be study-focused. For me, this looks like is going to crew practice to get in a workout with my team, or going for a half-hour walk around campus. I find that, by doing this, I can take my mind off of studying for exams and other items on my to-do list. When I come back to my computer, I am less stressed and usually more productive. – Madison

Studying with People

    Studying alone can be unmotivating especially during finals season when no labs, homework, or assignments are due. So, in order to make sure I am motivated to study and learn the material, I make sure I study with classmates and friends. When studying with others, they don’t have to be in any of my classes. Studying in the same place with friends holds you accountable. They can help you not go on your phone or get distracted easily. If I am studying with someone in the same class, we always make sure we have a whiteboard or chalkboard nearby so we can write out problems on the board for practice. Practicing problems numerous times and explaining them to other people can help you learn the material and do well on exams. A lot of the time, the people I study with for finals are the people I met when I was going to office hours throughout the semester. – Morgan


    These are just a few different ways we are studying for our finals season. Once you come to Purdue, you’ll find your own study habits and strategies that work for you, or maybe you’ll use one of our suggested ideas!



Lily Brodzinski ChemE ‘25, Madison Meunier NE ‘27, and Morgan Lehmkuhl CE ‘25

Recruitment Project Committee


Stay Connected With Purdue WiE Program!

Facebook: Purdue Women in Engineering

Instagram: @purdue.wie

Blog: purduewiep.blogspot.com

Email: welink@purdue.edu

YouTube: Purdue Women in Engineering Program - YouTube



Use the hashtag #PurdueWiE on Facebook and Instagram!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understanding Purdue Housing

A very (sub)objective review of dining options at Purdue

Top 10 Extracurriculars Purdue Students Want You to Join Outside of Engineering